The Subaru Forester is a combination of an outdoorsy image and practicality and fulfills the all-wheel-drive standard.
If you own a Subaru Forester and wish to replace your brake pads but don’t know which one to buy, then do not worry; you have ended up reaching the best place.
This article will share all the necessary information about the brake pads that your Forester needs. Every pad I mentioned here is according to your car’s configurations.
Here I have enlisted our Five best braking pads for your Subaru Forester.
- #1 Stop-Tech 309.10780 Sport Brake Pads with Shims and Hardware | High-End Pick
- #2 Wagner Quick-Stop ZD1114 Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set | 2nd Runner Up
- #3 Hawk Performance HB533F.668 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad | Editor’s Choice
- #4 Akebono-ACT1336A Ultra-Premium Ceramic Rear Disc Brake Pads | 1st Runner Up
- #5 Bosch BC721 Quiet Cast Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pad | Best Budget
Let us see what these brake pads are made of and what special features, the pros, and the cons they have to offer.
5 Top Best Subaru Forester Replacement Brake Pads Comparison
1. Stop-Tech 309.10780 Sport Brake Pads With Shims And Hardware | High-End Pick
If you are looking for high-quality ceramic pads for your Forester, no wonder the Stop-Tech 309.10780 can be one of the pads specifically designed to meet your car. Yes, it is. To serve you with the best efficiency, the StopTech pads undergo a tough molding process for even and smooth wearing.
The Stop-Tech sport brake pads have a much higher Operating Temperature level compared to other brake pads. Due to higher MOT can endure high heat, which is preferable for wheel drive cars like the Subaru Forester.
When the pads reach a higher temperature, it serves you with an unimaginably reduced stopping distance. Due to this, these pads are often selected track racing cars, and so it is believed that they can be a good choice for family SUVs.
However, the Stop-Tech has fewer slots, which results in high heating of the pads and disk and can cause premature wearing. In addition, due to lesser slots, there is less air circulation, and a proper cooling process does not stand a chance.
The Akebono ACT1336A Ultra-Premium Ceramic Rear Disc Brake Pads have the upper over the StopTech brake pads.
- High MOT: These brake pads have a higher MOT, which plays a crucial role in your car’s braking and eliminates fade.
- Performance: Excellent actuation, modulation, and release. Also, it has been Dyno-proven that improves performance and extend service life. It boasts of its Lab-Developed formulations that offer a strong initial bite.
- Positive Molded: Integrally molded that results in even friction material.
- Para-Aramid: 100% Original Equipment that ensures ideal friction performance throughout the pad. Finished and formulated with a coat of Para-Aramid for linear response.
- High friction area generates significantly more amount of dust. Also, the Akebono can produce a bit of noise when you use the brakes at a low speed.
2. Wagner Quick-Stop ZD1114 Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set | 2nd Runner Up
They highlight their product’s performance and durability, constantly improve them, set up new automobile technologies standards, and introduce new features like low-copper formulation.
The Wagner Quick Stop brake pads are developed, designed, tested, and certified in the USA by Wagner’s OE engineers and constructed using the Original Equipment constructions and compounds.
Wagner Quick-Stop ZD1114 features shims and slots, wearing sensors that match the OE, and keeping up the Original Equipment standard. In addition, application-specific shims and essential fit parts have been installed that efficiently reduce the NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness).
The chamfers and slots minimize unwanted noise, and the OE post-cured brake pads are known for their capability to provide an actual friction performance.
However, these aren’t durable enough to withstand heavy use and do not work well in colder areas. Moreover, it does not have an effective cooling system like other ceramic brake pads, say, the Bosch BC721 Quiet Cast Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pad.
- OE-Style Build: OE-style friction constructions and alignments for consistency, enhanced braking performance, plus supreme durability.
- Performance & Sturdiness: 100% Original Equipment that ensures ideal friction performance throughout the pad. The pads are finished with Para-Aramid for efficiency and linear response. It is engineered for consistency with gradual post-cured procedures, which result in even friction performance.
- Reduced Vibration: Application-specific shims minimize operating Vibration.
- Formulation: Asbestos-free, semi-metallic friction material with Warner’s OE25 zero-copper friction formulation. It is coated with Para-Aramid for efficiency and linear response.
- Hardware Kit: Comes with a package of stainless-steel hardware kits and lubricants for quick installation.
- Warranty: Offers a warranty of 2 years.
- The semi-metallic rotors can be rough and very aggressive on your rotors as they are metallic. So, you will need a routine check on your rotors for thinning.
3. Hawk Performance HB533F.668 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad | Editor’s Choice
The HPS pads can resist the heat build, potentially damaging the OEM pads from hefty usage. This brake pad is specifically designed to suit wheel drive cars and muscle cars. It is very gentle on the rotors and does not cause any unnecessary noises that can ruin the car’s driveability.
The Hawk HPS is very quiet in operation, less compressible on the rotors, and has a firm grip from the pad to rotor.
Keeping aside the pros of these aggressive pads, these pads come in a typically higher price ranges, it has a shorter life span, and due to the increased friction area, it generates more dust.
- Formulation: Ferro-Carbon pad design results in significantly greater friction for an aggressive driving experience.
- Increased Braking Power: Braking power has been improved and hiked by 20% to 40% compared to the OEM pads, irrespective of extreme temperatures.
- Pedal Feel: Advanced brake feels for comfortable use during everyday driving.
- Low Dust: Brake pad material generates low to no dust and resists rotor wearing like brake pads made for racing cars.
- Application-Price Fit: To serve your car with proper and elemental fitting and efficiency in operation, the pads are accurate to the shape and size of Original Equipment parts.
- Slotted Discs: The slots effectively eradicate water, dust particles, and gas that form naturally during braking operation. Furthermore, the pre-chamfered edges guarantee effective braking performance against uneven rotors.
- Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.
- It comes in a set for the rear wheels only and is typically priced.
4. Akebono-ACT1336A Ultra-Premium Ceramic Rear Disc Brake Pads | 1st Runner Up
The Akebono is specifically made according to the OEM standards. Also, the pads of the Pro-ACT series serve you with excellent braking, which is considered pretty suitable for the majority of Subaru users.
The Akebono is made with optimum friction formulations that focus on exterminating unwanted NVH and generating almost no dust.
The Akebono 1336A is absolutely application and platform-specific; the friction area is designed to meet the requirements of Forester’s breaking slots.
In addition, these brake pads fit incredibly, offer a greater grip from the pad to rotor discs, and serve your car with a supreme braking experience plus a reduced braking distance.
It boasts of its improved durability and promotes effortless braking.
You can absolutely use it as a replacement to restore Original Equipment performance. These are way more upgraded than the conventional pads.
The ACT 1336A is quite a large pad, and it can generate significantly more heat. It lags of other pads due to its shorter life which is the result of high heat production. These ceramics pads consume a lot of time heating up, making them a less suitable choice for users living in a place with colder temperatures.
Compared to the ACT1336A, the Wagner Quick-Stop has a superior performance.
- Ultra-Quiet Operation: The Akebono with an advanced variety of unique Pro-ACT ceramic constructions, which results in reduced brake squeaking and vibrations.
- More Outstanding Durability: The Akebono Pro-Act guarantees significant improvements, and so it is. In addition, they have boosted the pad performance in normal conditions.
- Low Dust: The Pro-ACT premium is formulation is pretty well-matched with an aluminum wheel frame. As a result, these pads are second to none when it comes to producing low dust.
- Smooth Braking: The Pro-ACT serves your Forester with a firm and more stable braking experience and serves you with a plethora of driving conditions.
- It has lesser slots compared to other pads.
5. Bosch Bc721 Quiet Cast Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pad | Best Budget
If you are looking for a solid brake pad for your Forester, no wonder that the Bosch BC721 can be one of your best picks. Formulated with premium materials for natural and elemental fit. A powder-coated backplate prevents rust and corrosion and extends the pad and rotor life.
Subaru prefers using OEM parts in most of its vehicles, and Bosch is one of the renowned automotive components that use OEM configurations.
It boasts of incredible stopping power over a short distance. However, your brake pads will eventually wear out after a certain period of usage, and if they are already damaged, you should switch them right away.
Bosch BC721 can be a trusted alternative when planning to swap the brake pads that come installed in your Forester. Its top-notch 100% copper-free formulation with Original Equipment fitting style and platform specified ceramic brakes makes it a better brake pad than other generic pads.
The Bosch BC721 showcases its rubber-coated shims and a balanced grip between rubber to steel, which is probably the best automotive industry product.
721 serves your braking system with excellent power for stopping your car and eradicating dust and unwanted NVH. In addition, it boasts of its strength, corrosion resisting capabilities, and durability.
The Bosch BC721 is an excellent brake pad for your Forester, but it is not the ideal pick for all Subaru users. However, if we compare Hawk Performance, the slotted ceramic rotors and pads will undoubtedly meet your expectations.
In addition, the Hawk HB 533F pad serves you with increased brake torque and a better brake feel, which the ceramic pads hugely fail.
- Direct-Fit: Always ready to install.
- Sturdy: The pads are integrally molded that provides extra strength and pad sturdiness.
- Grip And Operation: OE-style rubber core shims offer the paramount grip and fittings between rubber to steel, causing lower noise, improved stability, and corrosion resistance.
- Synthetic lubricant: Lubricant comes with an installation kit for quick installation.
- Formulation: To suit your Subaru Forester’s configuration, it has a 100% copper-free formulation.
- Warranty: Manufacturers offer a warranty of 12 months.
- Its transfer layer is pretty noisy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Be Sure If My Car’s Brake Pads Are Damaged?
Like every high-quality brake pad, Subaru brake pads usually last up to 40,000 to 70,000 miles. If you think the brake pads are damaged, look for the signs mentioned below:
- Pulsation: You will feel a mild or sharp vibration whenever you try to apply the brakes.
- Annoying Noises: Your pads are worn out if you hear squealing, screeching, and crushing noises when applying brakes.
- Forester Pulls While Braking: If your pads are damaged, your car will tend to pull at one side when you use the brakes.
- Odor: Damaged brake pads produce a burning smell.
Is It Possible To Lower The Heat Transfer Of My Subaru Forester During Heavy Use?
Brake pads tend to produce a significant amount of heat when enduring heavy pressure. If this heat is not treated well, it can damage the sensitive parts of your Forester.
To cut the heat, you need to slotted rotors as the slots help the heat to escape. In addition, the slots allow air circulation between the rotor and the pad and start cooling it.
The slots disperse the heat and prevent it from going into the braking system.
Where Does All The Brake Dust Come From In My Forester?
As a wheel drive car, the Forester needs a lot of braking pressure. At times the brakes endure an incredible amount of pressure, the friction areas produce dust. When a lot of brake dust is generated, this usually means that the pads are wearing down too early and deteriorating.
If you choose one of the brake pads that we have selected for you, it can serve you with outstanding, but it will also last a long time and help eradicate the dust.
Subaru Foresters are identified for being eco-friendly cars, so any little thing that can help lower your carbon footprint is worth doing.
Which Brake Pads Can Be The Best For My Subaru Forester?
According to many experts, the ceramic pads are the best for a Subaru Forester. However, they tend to get all heated when enduring high pressure. Therefore, always choose a slotted ceramic pad because it reduces the heat transfer and protects the rotors from extreme heat.
These pads last longer compared to semi-metallic or organic pads. In addition, the ceramics have greater control over the NVH and minor wear and tears without hampering the performance.
My Top Pick And Why?
From the products mentioned above, we choose Hawk Performance HB533F.668 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad as our top pick.
Hawk HPS is uniquely formulated with Ferro-Carbon specifically designed for heavy street performance using the quality, friction, and safety technology of the Aerospace and Motorsports.
It has slotted rotors that do a great job in cooling and eradicating dust and water. In addition, it has reduced stopping distance and increased braking power up to 40%.
It showcases a specially formulated friction area and has less fade. Fewer fade means it has minor rotor wearing and less dust while operating. Overall, it is a superb brake pad and worth the money.
It is very responsive, and having responsive braking is the thing that makes your car and you feel safe on the road.
The purpose of writing this article to guide intelligent people like you who want their cars to be safe and intact. A brake pad cannot be installed on any vehicle before checking its compatibility. Not every brake pad is compatible when it comes to Subaru Forester.
I hope this article has helped you understand all the factors you need to consider before buying one. Brake depends on the car’s configuration but also on your driving style.
No wonder all the brake pads mentioned above are the best picks for your Subaru Forester. These are all based on OE-style fits to meet the demands of your Forester.
Installing these pads will enhance your braking and will increase the car’s security and driveability.